- 牠們被用來做為藥物的測試 —利用實驗用的軟管直接伸入牠們的喉嚨裡或插入其鼻中將藥物注入牠們的體內，這樣的方式對於預測人類用藥的安全與否其實有90%是失敗的。
- 牠們被用來測試化學物品的毒性作用 —在沒有施予任何止痛藥的狀況之下，牠們部分的皮膚會被化學物品灼傷及拔除。
- 尋找leaping bunny(跳躍的兔子)，那些沒有利用殘忍的動物實驗所製造出來的產品上會有標示leaping bunny或未使用動物實驗的符號，而我們可以選擇購買這些產品。
Despite all of our advances in the modern world of science, animal abuse in labs is still one of the biggest problems facing animals today. A low estimate of 100-125 million animals are tested on globally each year. Dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, pigs, non-human primates, birds, amphibians and fish are all experimented on. During the experiments they are deprived of everything that is natural and important to them, suffer excruciating pain and mental distress.
- Animals are used to test cosmetics, household products, drugs, pesticides, food additives, vaccines and just for the sake of research.
- Mice have very similar nervous systems to humans and can feel pain, fear, loneliness and love their families.
- They are poisoned, burned and given psychological tests to make them feel anxiety, depression and helplessness.
- Rabbits are sentient animals that have the same ability to feel pain as we do.
- They are used to test makeup, soap, cleaners and more by dripping liquids into their eyes, which causes swelling, discharge, bleeding, blindness and pain. They are used to test toxicity by shaving off their fur and applying chemicals to their skin for weeks without any painkillers. After each rabbit’s test is finished they are killed.
- Monkeys are very intelligent, sensitive and family oriented animals, very similar to humans.
- They are used to test drugs - tubes are put down their throats or up their noses and drugs are pumped into their bodies -this method has a 90% failure rate in predicting safety for humans.
- Dogs are smart, loving, pack animals who can feel pain and fear just as humans do.
- They are used to test toxicity: drugs, chemicals and cleaners are pumped into their bodies to measure toxicity rates - from which they will slowly die.
- Pigs are extremely intelligent social animals.
- They are used to test toxic effects of chemicals- parts of their skin is burned and removed without any painkillers.
Not only is animal testing inhumane and cruel, it is highly inaccurate. The testing of toxicity levels, skin and eye irritants or drug effectiveness on animals is only relevant to the animal it’s tested on and cannot be extrapolated to humans. Moreover, test that have positive results in animals often show negative results in humans. In recent years more reliable, faster and less expensive non- animal testing methods have been developed such as skin cultures and computer models. Sadly barbaric animal testing is still going on around the world today.
What can we do?
- Look for the leaping bunny. Products that are NOT tested on animals will have the leaping bunny or cruelty free logo on it. Purchase these products rather than others.
- Be a compassionate shopper. Do your research online to find companies that practice animal testing and stop supporting them.
- Spread the word. Many people are still unaware that products they use are tested on animals.
- Voice your concern. Write to companies that do animal experiments to tell them you won’t support them until they abolish animal testing.